Monday, July 20, 2015

The Beginning of Hope

 

When he came to his senses he said, “How many of my father's hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death?” So he got up and went to his father. Luke 15:17,20(a)

We all have problems and circumstances that may or may not be beyond our control. Yes, I admit when troubles come my way, I do not always focus on my Heavenly Father but try to work through the situation in my own strength. Like the son we read about in this parable I have been guilty of wasting my time and money and then feeling sorry for myself.. That is when I feel a nudge from the Holy Spirit, “I am here. Just trust me.”

I once read “the end of yourself is the beginning of hope.” The reason we so often keep hanging on to our hurts, still looking for the solution in our own strength and making little progress is because we haven't yet come to the end our ourselves. We are still trying to control the situation instead of getting out of God's way and letting Him work in us. If we find ourselves at the end of our rope, we should just tie a knot and hang on because that may be the place God wants us so He can strip our pride and accomplish what He wants to do in us and through us.

The prodigal son came to the end of himself when he realized the pigs he was caring for had more to eat than he did. It was then that he decided to go home to his father. Did his father turn him away?: No! He welcomed him back with open arms..That is what our Heavenly Father will do when we come to the ends of ourselves. He will run to meet us with outstretched arms. What a beautiful picture that is. I can just see it in my mind's eye. Can't you? What an awesome God we serve!

`

No comments:

Post a Comment