Friday, September 11, 2009

When Innocence Died

I was working as a social worker and had just gone to conduct a home visit. As soon as I arrived, the manager of the facility met me at the door and told me about the first plane that had hit the twin towers. I was speechless and after watching the news on the TV we realized how serious this tragedy was. Needless to say, I did not conduct the home visit I had gone to do. Instead I went to my car and cried. I cried for the victims that had lost their lives and for the families that loved them. I cried for the children that would never see their mother or father again. Most of all I guess I must admit I cried for my grandchildren who would never know the safety net that had held me in my childhood. Never again could we enjoy life as carefree and innocently as we had before.

After my tears had all fallen, I prayed that God would continue to hold us in His hand. He is the only one who can fully understand the reasons behind such a vicious act. This country has enjoyed prosperity and blessings without giving much thought to the source. Never again will I take the freedom I enjoy for granted. I know ,although I was an adult when this happened, I matured that day. I thanked God for the freedom we have because of the many sacrifices that have been made. I hope that we, as a country, never take God's love and blessings for granted again.

No comments:

Post a Comment