Thursday, August 2, 2012

Practice What You Preach

Don’t worry that children never listen to you.  Worry that they that they are always watching you.

Robert Fulghum

 

Too many times we are overly concerned that our children are not listening to our “lectures” and rules.  We so often forget that they are constantly watching us to judge what they should and should not do or say.

This story is told of a family who had invited the pastor and his family for Sunday dinner.  The father looked fondly at his small daughter.  “Amy, he said in a quiet voice.  Why don’t you say the blessing tonight?” 

As everyone bowed their heads, Amy looked up at her father with panic in her eyes.  “But Daddy, I don’t know what to say.”  “Honey,” her father attempted to put her at ease, “Just say what you heard your mother say.”  Suddenly her face lit up and she bowed her head. “O Lord,” she began in the sweetest voice she could muster. “Why in the world did I invite this old goat for dinner tonight?”

Lesson :  We should always walk the walk if we are going to talk the talk for our children.

Father, I pray tonight that as these precious children you have entrusted me with, I will always let uplifting and edifying words come out of mouth.  Let me walk the walk and talk the talk so these innocent lambs of yours can see you in me.  I don’t want to do anything to hinder or harm them in any way.  I want to be remembered as someone that taught them about your great love.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment