Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Storm of Fear

Life sometimes fills me with fear and dread. One day not long ago was one of those tines. It had been raining all day with thunder and lightning piercing the sky.

Normally, I would not be so uptight about a storm but I had my van loaded with kids and groceries. We made it home safely but were soaked to the skin by the time we managed to run to the house juggling grocery bags. I wish I could say the eggs were as lucky but, alas, they became a casualty in the "mad dash to the door". They were crushed when I slid down and landed on my rear in the water and mud. Naturally the sight of "Nanny" dripping in water and mud and, of course, eggs dripping all over me brought a round of hysterical laughter from my darling children. I finally made it into the house with no further crisis.

The rain fell and the storm raged all afternoon with no signs of releasing its grip. I convinced the kids to play some board games while I cleaned myself up, put away the groceries, and mopped the water from the floor. It did not take long, however, for the battles to begin. "He cheated!" "Did not." "Did too." "NANNY, COME HERE!"

After stopping the battle and instructing the kids to put away the games, we popped popcorn and put a movie in to watch. After a few minutes of "discussion" about what movie to watch, I settled this battle by making the choice for them. When they were finally settled down with popcorn and the movie, I went back to my tasks on my never-ending "to do" list.

I must admit I was fearful for out safety, but I did not want the kids to know this. I could hear the children talking and laughing over the antics of the characters in the movie and was grateful they had not heard the tornado warnings that had been flashing across the television screen.

By the time I had fed the children their dinner and had gotten them into bed, the rain had slowed but had not stopped completely. After the nightly stories, drinks of water, and numerous trips to the bathroom, the house was finally quiet and I could actually sit down for a few minutes in my comfortable old rocking chair. I got out my bible and started to read. Suddenly I found myself reading Isaiah 41:10: Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you in my righteous right hand. What a comforting thought! He will never leave us and the only place we can fall is into His arms! Suddenly my mind was at ease and peace filled my heart. Although the storm outside was still raging outside, inside I knew we were safe in His loving arms.

Today's Whisper:
Can you recall a time when fear gripped your heart? How did you handle it? Did you remember God's promise that He will never leave you? Write out a prayer to God for bringing you through that time.

Today's Prayer:
Father God, I want to praise you and thank you keeping your children in your loving arms. So many times I become afraid during the storms of this life. I praise your name. Somtimes you calm the storm and other times you calm my heart and give me the strength to weather the storm. But I know that you are always with me during the storms.

False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

No comments:

Post a Comment