Thursday, February 14, 2019

If The Empty Nest Doesn't Occur Soon I'm Going To Fly The Coop!


Every little girl has a dream of meeting her Prince Charming, her Mister Right, and riding off into the sunset to live happily forever. This dream includes marriage, a little white house with a picket fence and, of course, children. Naturally these children should be a little boy who will fish, hunt, and play sports with his father and a little girl who will dress in ruffles and lace and be a “mama's little helper.” the dream continues and the children are grown and married with homes and children of their own. Ah, such a wonderful dream to have. However, dreams do not always come true. We often get a little reality check when life kicks us back to the real world. We learn that “happily ever after” only works in fairy tales. Reality teaches us that real life is where all the action is.
When my children grew up, they not only moved in with us again (and again), my daughter brought her children to live with us. Now please do not misunderstand me, I do love my children and grandchildren. I will fight to the death anyone who questions that. It is just that at this point in my life I was looking forward to time for me and my husband. I thought I could have time to spend doing things I wanted to do and spend time with the man I married but haven't seen in two weeks because I have either been at school for a meeting or at the ballpark watching a grandchild play little league.
Imagine if you can, a leisurely trip to the mall with no worries about cleaning house or cooking dinner. Perhaps a late afternoon move would be fun a lunch at one of those “fancy” restaurants. You know the kind. You actually go in and a waitress takes your order and serves you. You don't have to yell into a little box and you get fries whether you want them or not. After the mall and lunch I think I will—uh oh, I must be dreaming because for just a moment I thought I was having lunch at the mall. Well, when reality hits it often uses a sledge hammer doesn't it?
I guess I must come back to reality and clean the house and prepare dinner for my hungry bunch. I have to admit that preparing dinner is not as much fun as it once was. When the children were younger, I could prepare one meal and everyone would eat it without presenting any major problems. Now, however our schedules are so hectic that we seldom eat at the same time. Now with our busy schedules and different tastes my kitchen looks more like the kitchen of a fast food restaurant. Oh well, I guess it is nice to be needed—when it's time to clean up and scrub the cooked on food off the counters and floor.
I have started looking through magazines of beautiful homes and dreaming of living in a house that is as beautiful as the homes shown in these magazines. I'm not talking about expensive homes or expensive furniture. I'm talking about homes that stay clean with everything in its place. A home where you will not find a hair brush in the kitchen or a glass of milk in the bedroom. I am dreaming of the day when I can clean the house and it will stay clean for more than fifteen minutes at a time. I am not complaining though because right now you can eat off my kitchen floor. Yeah, there is a spot of mashed potatoes in that corner, gravy over there and bread crumbs scattered throughout.
I know that in the Bible the children of the Proverbs 31 woman rise up and call her blessed. My children rise up and call me when they need clean clothes, more junk food and the keys to the car or money for gas. Ah, the feeling of being needed. Such a wonderful feeling for a mother to have.
I do not live an unfilled life however. I happen to have front row seats to the biggest sporting events of the year. I'm not talking about some boring sports with players that are known nationwide and who seem to be larger than life. I know the hottest new baseball stars of the century and am even on first name bases with the players and their coaches. I am also a regular at the ballet and the prima ballerina calls me by her pet name for me—Nanny. Oh, I can't forget my volunteer work and charitable donations of which I am a faithful contributor. Let me see, there is the magazine subscription drive, the raffle ticket peddler, and the volunteer for the biggest dance of the season—the Daisy Scout cotillion. Ah, what a wonderfully busy by satisfying life I lead.
Although I do not have the opportunity for time alone to spend reading all the books I want to read or doing all the things I want to do for myself, I have learned to be like Paul—content in all circumstances. I have discovered that I have the greatest opportunity in the world. I am talking about influencing my family by living my life as a testimony to what Christ can do and has done for us. I want my children to see the awesome love that is possible in Him and through Him. I hope my family can learn from my example that with Christ all things are possible and without Him we can do nothing. I am trying to live my life so they can see my love for God and my appreciation for the blessings He has already given. us. I know my family will always remember me and want them to remember me my faith and my love for God. I want them to see this love through all the little things I do for them. I know that they will rise up and call me blessed. I want to leave them with the knowledge that everything I have done has been done out of my great love for them and my faith in God.
I want to show them that when they do leave my nest and start out on their own they will always have someone to call on they the times are tough and the nights are long. I won't be around always to pick them back up but there is a father will never leave or forsake His children. If they do not learn any of the lessons that I have attempted to teach them in life I want them to learn that one. He is always there for us, even when we mess up and think that we have no place to go or no one to listen to their problems. His nest will never be empty because He always has His arms open wide for us.
Today's Whisper:
A second grade teacher was teaching a unit on magnets. She asked the class, “what has 6 letters and picks up things?” little Johnny raised his hand and responded proudly, “Mother.” Ah, the wisdom of children. Although this is funny, it shows us how important a mother is in the lives of her children. It has been said that the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. I have had the wonderful privilege of not only raising two children of my own but I have had the honor of raising four grandchildren. I have tried to instill in each of them the love of our Savior and hopefully have let them see His love and mercy in my own life.
Today's Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I want to thank you that you will never “kick us out of your nest” but will always be there to shelter us under your wings. I know that you are always ready soothe our hurts and heal our wounds that daily living inflicts upon us. I thank you Father for your tenderness and mercy even when we disobey and go our own way. You are the ultimate Father and have shown us the ultimate love. Thank you that you gave me the honor and privilege of caring for the children you placed in my home and heart. I pray they always remember the love I have for them and the love you have for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment