Monday, October 5, 2009

Love Notes From God

I recently participated in the bible study, The Power of a Praying Wife. This bible study taught me how to pray for my husband in the major areas of his life. During this class I was reminded of a practice I had developed when we first married. I would write my husband little “love” notes and put them in his lunch box or somewhere around the house where I knew he would find them. Unfortunately, when the children came into our lives and our time was wrapped up in caring for them and making a living to support our little family, this practice was pushed to the side.

However, when I really began to read the book for the study, I knew the man I fell in love with and married is the one I still love all these years of marriage. I knew that over the years we both had, at times, felt that we had lost something in our relationship. I realized that even though we each now have major responsibilites in the day to day scheme of things, we need to let each other know that our love is still alive and has grown more with the passing years. So I again picked up the practice of leaving little notes around the house for him. Although he has not acknowledged that he reads the notes he has made reference to them from time to time and I can tell he is pleased and flattered by this gesture on my part.

One morning not too long ago, I was having my morning visit with God and
asking for his His help with some major problems with our children. As I cried in my coffee cup and bemoaned the loneliness and discouragement I was feeling, God spoke to me ande said. “Do you remember the love notes you wrote for Billy? Well, have you read my love notes to you?” Love notes from God? Was I hearing Him right or has my imagination run away with me again? “Lord, what do you mean ‘Love notes from you’?” As I listened to His answer the tears began falling down my face as I realized that I have been so caught up in my problems and trying to come up with my own solutions to them, I had not noticed the signs God had been sending me. He is always available with His arms stretched out wide for me to fall into. All I have to do is go to Him and tell Him my problems.

“Well,” He went on to say, “Do you remember the ‘cute’ little note you wrote to Billy that said, “You deserve the best–and when you married me that is just what you got.’?” “Sure I remeber that one,” I said. “I left that one for him because I know he does appreciate my sense of humor–sometimes, anyway.” “Well,” God replied. “You deserve the best–and when you became my child–that is what you got. I gave my son to die on the cross for you and pay for all your sins.”

“How about the one with the kiss inside?” God asked. “Do you remember that one?” Of course I remembered that one with a smile. This one had a picture of a man who, with sagging shoulders, looked as though he were carrying the weight of the world. On the inside I had taped two candy kisses with the words–’This looks like a two kiss day to me.’ “Well, how many kisses from me have you missed? I have seen you tired and burdened down with the stresses of life and that is when I send a gently breeze to touch your face or a gentle spring rain to let you know that I am here and thinking of you. When your precious little grandkids stop in the middle of a game and runs to you throw arms around your neck and give you a ‘I love you, Nanny’ that is a message from me to count the blessings that I have given you.”

“The note that asks your husband to ‘wake you with a kiss’ should remind you that each morning I give you a kiss of sunshine to greet you and help you start another day. I am also there to hold you up when thibngs go wrong for you. Do you renmember when you had surgery years ago anbd had just gotten home from the hospital? You were feeling so depressed and even feeling a little useless because you had to have a hysterectomy. When you saw the rose in full bloom with the snow outlining the petals on that cold November day do you know what message I was sending you? I was telling you that no matter how depressed and lonely you may get and how cold the world is I will always be with you to help you see the beauty in whatever is happening in your life.”

When God had finished speaking, I was totally overwhelmed. For I had forgotten so many times to look for the beauty and love that He is always sending me. From that day forward, I vowed to always look for God’s love notes and I have truly been blessed each time I see a message that God is sending me. God is so awesome and His messages are so beautiful. Just this week I have seen a rainbow in the sky for three consecutive days and know that God is not only in Heaven smiling down but is also with me each day.

God even sends humorous love notes. When I come home after a long hard day at work my dog jumps on my lap and puts his paw up in a “high five” I can inagine God smiling in Heaven as He looks down and says, “everything is going to be OK.”

I challenge each and every one you you reading this to begin to look for love notes from God. I am sure you will be able to see more clearly than ever that God does truly love us and His love will see us through anything we go through in our lives.

Today’s Whisper:
Remember that He loves us and is always sending us reminders of that love. Take a few minutes today and think about the love notes He sends to you. You will always find a special note from Him. I challenge you to find a love note from God today and really read it with your heart and soul mindful of the love He is sending to you with that special note from.

Prayer:
Father God, I know you love me with an unconditional love. Help me to stop and read your love notes to me. Often in the midst of daily life I miss them but help me to sit under your sheltering wings and bask in your love for me. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Doretta, Thanks for sharing this wonderful reminder to read our Father's love notes. They are everywhere. I love your blog. Wishing you a wonderful day.
    Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete